I've had so much happen and I want to get it down before I forget about it. About three weeks ago, Joan Lafever, the head of Guam Micronesia Missions, came to visit us. She visited out classrooms and offered suggestions. They decided for her to fly out to Jeh and Wotje along with Lenney, the principal, to see those school. They got on Jeh and the plane broke down. The plane was on Ebeye, fortunately, but they were stuck on Jeh. Air Marshall Islands is the most unreliable air service in the world. Everyone knows that if you leave on one of their planes, you may not be back for quite some time. We could communicate with them by ham radio. Every day John Dale would give them updates and try to get them off the island. Chartering a big boat out there was looking like a $6000 proposition. Joan didn't want to ride in a small boat because of the safety issues. Finally, about two or three weeks after they got there, the plane was fixed and it flew them home. In the mean time John Dale was the main dicipline guy and he did a great job. My kids were afraid to be sent to him.
That leads me to my next story. This week we've been doing different stuff because it is Education week. Strange enough less education has been done than any other week. We have had group activities and games. One day we had Bible Trivia games with 7th grade. 7th grade won and the two 7th grade teachers and I were leading out. None of the kids like one of the 7th grade teachers and complain to me all the time. He was a little biased and wanted 7th grade to win. The 8th graders said he was cheating, which I don't think was true. Afterward one of the 8th grade girls went up to him and said "7th grade can go to hell." I was really surprised because I have no problems with her in class. She is one of the sweetest girls in the whole class. I wasn't there to hear it but two teachers were and so they sent her to do detention. She retreated into the 8th grade class and didn't appear to be moving. Cameron told me to go get her down, which I guess was my responsibility since she was an 8th grader. I went up there and told her she couldn't talk to a teacher like that and she'd have to do detention. She kept saying, "I will go. I will go after school." And other stuff. I told her she had to go right then. About 10 8th graders were in there at this point, watching everything. My rules are very relaxed as far as classes go, but I do have control of the class because I enforce the rules and have and everyone knows that. I knew if I lost this battle the next two months would be much harder. I told her she would have to go to detention or go talk to John Dale. I knew she is afraid of him. She still didn't want to move so I started counting. She went at that point but was angry. She didn't say anything rude to me though. I didn't really know what to expect the next day. Evidently she felt bad for being so difficult because in chapel she sat down beside me and talked to me a bunch. This was her way of saying she was sorry for being difficult and getting back into good graces with me.
Friday, March 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment