Monday, August 31, 2009

Enemanat

Saturday night Cameron went around finding people to go off Majuro to a small island with a beach called Enemanat. 15 people said they wanted to go so he charted a boat along with some military guys. We got ready to leave and they was only about 4 of us ready. Some people came in really late and we raced off 30 minutes after we were suppose to. There was only about 7 or 8 of us that ended up going. Cameron was kinda upset because he thought he would have to absorb the cost. They ended up working it out so he didn't, though.
We did miss the boat, but it came back for another trip. There was a bunch of people who wanted to go to the island from the community. We all jumped on the boat and took off across the bay. We didn't even have to go out of the middle of the island chain to get there. The water and sun was gorgeous. We saw one rain storm, but it went around us. When we landed we were stoked to find out there was a real beach with sand. It was the first we have seen since we've been here. We swam out to a floating dock. It had a diving board about 10 feet off the water. Cameron was doing all kinds of crazy flips and stuff. The girls who are in Gymmasters did a few things, but they were a little afraid. Dameon knows very little about things like that, but he has no fear. He tried a Gainer for the first time. He rotated into a dive, but couldn't complete the rotation. 10 feet is enough to really hurt and I wouldn't try it from that high. I did a front flip. I could do a backflip, but I really hate going over backwards. I've done it from twice that high before, but I've also over-rotated and know how much it hurts.
Next we went snorkelling. In the main swimming area there isn't much to see until you find the plane. It was about 15 feet underwater and super cool. The tail section was missing, but the rest was there. After I watched Cameron swim through it and then tested the distance, I did too. Going through the cockpit is really small and you have to be careful not to get cut on exposed, rusted metal. It probably wasn't a great idea, but I had plenty of breath hold for it and it was really fun.
We had a big potluck with the locals. Some of the SMs were stoked about the chicken and beef, which they said was really good. I found rice and pineapple to eat. When we were stuffed, we wandered down the beach and f0und this tree that overhung the water. Lauren hung her hammock up over the water. Cameron and I climbed in the tree, which was perfect because you could walked down the horizontal branches and just jump off into the water. Of course the water was less than waist deep, so I just plopped in, but it was still super cool.
When I put my mask on I found that the fish under the water were gorgeous. They were hiding among the coral and swimming everywhere. It's the best reef I have been to since I've been here. I saw a 3 foot eel that was striped brown and green. It was beautiful, but kind of freaky.
We ended off the day by throwing a frisbee and football around. There's a girl here that can throw a football like a dude. She always laughs at me because my throw is pathetic. (All I have to say is she was scared to death the one time she went surfing with us. The waves were pretty big that day. I think we had some 10 foot sets. She paddled past the waves and refused to come in because she was afraid of getting hit by one of those 10 foot sets. It took us awhile to talk her in.)
We left Enemanat just before sundown. The problem with this fact is that was much later than we had planned. We all had lesson plans to do. But it was fine. I got mine done anyway. And we caught the sunset while on the boat. I got some sick pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment