Saturday, October 31, 2009

Parent Teacher Conferences

I haven't written in my blog for awhile because not a lot has happened. Thursday was report card day and parent teacher conferences. It went surprisingly well. We didn't expect many people to show up, but more than half the parents in most classes came.

We got off school at noon so we would have time to get ready. It was nice to have a half-day and the kids enjoyed it too. After school we had a few hours to relax and ready everything. At 4 pm the parents started showing up. Since Marshallese time is considerably laid back, I was surprised when two parents showed up 10-15 minutes after. It was really nice to spend some time talking with them. One of my kids is "special" and I found out it is because he had some high fevers when he was little and the doctors said it messed up a nerve in his brain or something. It was nice to spend some time talking with the parents. They spoke much better English than I thought they would.

The three hours actually went by a lot more quickly than I thought they would. It was partially due to the fact we were watching a movie when the parents weren't there. I had two students helping me out with checking off parents. The principal told us to do that, but next time I won't bother. It was just as easy for me to do it myself. All in all it went really well and I had 14 kids parents represented out of 21. One or two came for two kids, so it was 12 or 13 parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment