A couple of our SMs desplayed a great deal of confidence when they first arrive on the island. I heard one say, "Lets face it, teaching isn't that hard a job." Since my mom is a teacher I knew otherwise, but I didn't say anything. After that meeting, this same guy told me, "I can't do this." I told me, "You can do it, you'll be fine. Just take things as they come." He was like, "No, stop telling me I can do it, I can't do it!" I was a little concerned. He left the meeting and said he really wanted to talk with his parents. Just then his parents called on the phone. He talked with them for awhile and they encouraged him to continue and offered some help. He is much more positive today. I praise God for that.
Last night was my first time surfing on the island. It was an awesome experience. My first run out I was so excited I forgot to put fins on my board. I had to paddle back, which is a long ways, and back out with my fins. I caught a couple waves before it got dark. I got up early this morning and several of us went out. We got to see the sunrise on the water. It was gorgeous. I got barrelled a couple times and really got worked by the waves. I'm fine though and learning. I'll get the hang of pulling out of these huge barrels over here.
We have just one more day to get ready for the kids. Pray for us all as we start the teaching process.
wow, you get to go surfing everyday. That is great. You are going to be a pro one of these days. Also, when I first got here I thought just like your friend but it didn't take me long to realize that teaching is not just fun and games. It's serious stuff. God is amazing though and your friend will learn a lot about trusting in God. Pray for him and I will pray for you! Have a great first day in class. Don't be soft!
ReplyDeleteYou are right--stessing never helps but praying does. Sometimes I spent the lunch time eating alone so I can pray for the right Spirit to be in the classroom. It is wonderful to see what happens. God brings peace to me and the students. Remember to claim the beautiful promises and share them with others:
ReplyDeleteIsa 65:24 "It shall come to pass That before they call, I will answer; And while they are still speaking, I will hear."
Jer 32:27 "Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh. Is there anything too hard for Me?"
Our prayers will be for you and all SMs as well as the students.