Saturday, August 8, 2009

8/8/09

We experienced our first Sabbath on Majuro. Friday night we went to vespers. Ben lead out in the singing with his guitar. After that, a Philipino guy gave the sermon. He talked about different religions and the true church. He spoke in Marshallese and translated it into english.
Sabbath morning we got to church around 9:30 am. People trickled in and then we split into Sabbath Schools. A lot of us went to the early teen where they were having a bible study about the second coming. The kids were evidently shy around us and didn't say much. At church we sang a bunch of hymns. The piano either didn't work or they had no one to play it, so the hymns were accopella and drug by. They sang about three songs between every part of the service. The sermon was in Marshallese, but it was short. At the end he summarized it in English in about 2 minutes.
After church we got invited to a funeral. Evidently over here it is an honor to go to a funeral. A couple other SMs and I jumped into a van of one of the church members for the ride over. There is only one narrow road that runs the whole island. The driver drove crazy fast, passing a bunch of people. One pass we didn't think he was going to make, we almost died. We finally got there and everyone was just chilling out. I went down by the water and played with the kids. They are acrobats and love climbing trees and messing around. The funeral was kinda long and some of the people fell asleep. At the end everyone went by the body and left some money beside the casket. Afterward everyone sat down and had a big lunch. I didn't eat because I already had and I was afraid the food would get me sick. Other SMs ate and I don't think anyone got sick.
After the funeral we explored the other end of the island. We met a missionary family that has been here for 20 years. A bunch of us were riding in the back of a truck on the way home. It started raining and we all got soaked. I didn't get cold because the air is so warm here. It was a great adventure.
It's Sunday at lunch time right now. We all got up fairly early and started cleaning our classrooms. Mine wasn't too bad and I got it done quickly. Then I helped some of the girls who had bigger and dirtier classrooms. Some of them haven't been cleaned in years an there are layers of grime built up. We are quickly on our way to getting ready.
After some last minute changes, I am going to teach 8th Grade. I will be teaching all the subjects. Some people have told me that is one of the hardest grades. I'm praying that God will give me the strength.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Michael! your already there... how cool. This is exciting and I will be praying for you. We are in the same time zone! woohoo. We should talk on skype some time. My name is stelladebrito. These blogs are great. keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, It is wonderful to hear about your trip and getting settled. When do classes begin with students? We get a week before students arrive to prepare--hope you do too! I know you will do fine with 8th grade. Ask what works for other teachers and try what you think will work for you--some things you'll have to throw out, others you'll keep. It is Sunday evening here but we figured it is already Monday afternoon there! That is so hard to comprehend. We are giving you blog address to the whole church--they asked for it to follow. Met a Student at Uchee Pines who taught 4th grade in 2000 on Majuro and a man at church Sabbath was from Chuuk. The World is getting smaller. We are praying several times a day. Still working on getting skype account.
    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete