The first two days of school are done. [Wipes sweat from brow]. It’s a good feeling to have that behind me. Thursday was the first day, a half day. We were told just to get to know students and do some fun things. I didn’t bother assigning seating so the girls sat on one side of the room and the boys on the other. I introduced myself and showed a slideshow. It had a bunch of pics from my life. I showed them on the map where I’m from and where I went to school. They paid attention but were very quiet. Next I outlined some procedures and rules that I want them to follow. I tried to play some games with them. Again, they were very shy and didn’t want to get involved. I let them out for recess, which is halfway through the morning and knew I had nothing left to do when we got back. During recess I thought of Charades. With a little encouragement they got into it and we did that for 45 minutes or so. After that was kinda rough. We hung out and went outside for a little while. Finally, the day was over and I was beat.
I knew I couldn’t go through another of those days. I made up a Math test to see where they are at and started looking through my textbooks for ideas. Today, Friday, I was ready and had plenty for them to do. I assigned them to seats that were boy-girl-boy-girl. This helps them not be so segregated and they don’t talk during class because they refuse to talk to someone of the opposite sex. Makes Southern not seem so bad, lol. Their English is very poor. They have trouble putting sentences together that make sense. I don't really know how I'm going to teach them to make sentences. I'll have to seek some advice for that. They are rusty on Math and I'll have to do a lot of review. They are a great class, very well behaved and I'm really excited to be teaching 8th grade. I really can't complain.
The first week here in Majuro is over and I'm really enjoying it so far. Teaching can be stressful, but I'm good at taking things in stride and not worrying about the future. We are short on teachers so the highschool teachers are scrambling to keep up with all the extra work. We are suppose to get a Math teacher. That is imperative since no one seems to have even taken Calculus before. Ben Smith is starting to teach the class and he doesn't know how to work the problems.
Yesterday we went to the bridge. It is the tallest point on the island, about 30 feet. :) We jumped off the bridge into the channel below it. I just did a simply jump. Our vice principal is a skilled Gymnast and he did a Gainer, backflip, and handstand into a front and back flip. I got pics with my highspeed function on my camera and they were great.
Four of our SMs are bound for Jeh and Woja. These are small outer island schools. They leave on Monday. We will miss them, but they are going on to their calling, so that is good.
Okay so it sounds like you are having a good time. I'm so glad you had a game plan and you started testing them. I have a list of things for you to do that may help you.
ReplyDelete1. Have a routine
2. Create a spreadsheet where you can have everyone's name down and you can do grading.
3. make name tags
4. Start with the alphabet. They may think it's stupid but go through the letters and the sound and ask them something like what starts with the letter A and have them tell you.
5. Give prizes for good behavior and correct answers such as stickers or lollipops. Here in Korea kids love stickers and they have sticker sheets and if they get a certain about they get prizes. They may be shy now but they are going to get loud and out of control if you let them.
6. With making sentences they first need to learn words then you can start putting them together. You really need a phonics book.
7. There are a lot of kids esl games. But also pray God will give you ideas while your in the class.
8. Start the class with prayer and you can do something simple like tell them to repeat after you "dear jesus, /thank you for this day /please bless us /we love you amen"
9. you also need the book education. You can read it online at ellen white's website. Let me know if you need anything. Post your address!