Tuesday, August 11, 2009

We are still working on lesson plans and trying to get ready. Some people asked when we start school. It is Thursday the 12th. For most of you it will be Wednesday though. I haven't been able to make many plans because we don't know where the kids are yet. They say they have no special ed grades so everyone is together. We may have kids with learning disabilities so we'll have to teach to all levels.
Yesterday afternoon a friend and I snorkelled out past the break. We wanted to see what fish and stuff are out there. He saw a Mantaray with a 10 foot wingspan. That was pretty cool. The first were bigger and there were more schools of them, but they were harder to take pictures of. They were super fast. Some of the surfers came out while I was snorkelling so I went in and got my surfboard and surfed. The past few days there hasn't been any wind. This makes it very hot on shore and hard to sleep in. But the waves are really clean. Wind makes it choppy. I've never seen 6-8 foot faces that are this clean. It's amazing. I'd fly all the way out here just to surf these waves. I didn't use my shortboard all summer because it wouldn't catch anything in Florida. Florida was horribly flat this summer, worse than most. I love it out here! It's so fast and maneuverable.
Yesterday afternoon a bunch of the guys were out spear fishing. As yet they hadn't been able to catch anything. One guy saw a sizable fish and alerted the other one. Unfortunately there was a puffer fish right next to it. The second guy only saw the puffer fish and speared it. It blew up really huge and he carried it on shore and we took pictures. It was sad to me because I think it was the same puffer fish I was playing with the first day I got here. You can't eat them so it was a total waste. They were really excited that they caught something, though.
Tomorrow is when school starts. We will have half a day to start out with. Pray for us. None of us really know what we are doing in a classroom. God will have to make up the difference.

1 comment:

  1. It is weird that Thursday would be the 12th for you--seems like it should be the 13th just like our Thursday. Isn't the underwater world like another universe? What you see on IMAX now comes to life before your eyes.I'm glad you get to see this. I'm sorry about the puffer fish--so easy to destroy what God made so beautiful.On a side note:this font is hard to read--not light enough so blends in with the background

    ReplyDelete