Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Another day... Sept 9th

This is hump day and I'm so glad. The first half of the week was pretty stressful. Monday went ok, just a normal day. Tuesday three of my students got caught drinking alcohol on campus. I found out they had been drinking all morning in class. They found a drink that was clear like water and put it in a water bottle. I'm really surprised I didn't smell it. I usually pick up that kind of stuff. I guess they kept it closed all the time. I was trying really hard to hold back my joy when they got sent home. They are the trouble makers and my class ran so smooth the rest of the day without them. People were quiet and did their work. That was short lived because today the worst trouble maker shows up. The principal told him not to come back without his uncle or whover he's staying with. He pretty much just ignored that and showed up anyway. Even when he's not doing anything overtly bad, he's just really loud and disrupting. I'm not sure where it centers, but it's really hard to lecture because people talk really loud. I don't know if it is a cultural thing or what, but it's very hard for all of us SMs to get used to. It appears to us the kids have a total lack of manners. They can be really disrespectful at times. The high school teachers have the same problem. I think the younger grades are the worst though. This isn't whispering to your friends, this talking very loudly while someone is up front. It can be very disturbing especially in a block room that echoes really bad like my classroom. I don't know what to do about it. I don't think I should have to punish people for that because it's just basic manners, but I think I'll have to.
Anyway, enough complaining. Yesterday I went out surfing and that made the day so much better. The waves were a pretty good size, but choppy. Ben got some fanastic pics. Rudy came out for the first time with snorkel gear on. He was having a blast dodging waves and stuff. I came surfing in on one and they were hanging out right where I have to go so they could get some sweet pics. Rudy hesitated and didn't know which way to go and I almost took his head off. I was trying to go around him, but the wave was super choppy and I cleared this lip that came up out of nowhere. Fortunately he ducked down just before I took his head off. I have a great picture sequence of it that Ben took while the whole thing was going on. Crazy.
It's been rainy and windy lately. Can't really complain since at least it's not super hot out. I don't mind the weather at all.
One more thing that has been bugging me is cooking in our apartment. I end up cooking almost every meal. Ben cooks some, but no one wants to cook for five guys. There ends up being about four freeloaders. The new guy, John, cooks for himself every single meal. He's a good cook, but never wants to share with us. I just make basic stuff for the group. It's not that hard to put water on to boil. John has a free period right before lunch and I don't see why he can't start something cooking for the rest of us. Anyway, I've grumbled a little about it, but maybe I'll just have to sit down and have a talk with everyone. Ben sees it too. We may talk to everyone together.

No comments:

Post a Comment