Wednesday I was excited because the week was halfway over. I was to find out that my problems had just begun. The whole day I had behavior problems with about three of the guys. This one kid is not all there and I think he has ADD really bad. He takes off every few minutes and disappears with the bathroom pass. Then three people were leaving at one time with the pass and when two came back it was ripped in half. These guys wouldn't do their class work and wanted to talk and joke really loud while everyone else was. At lunchtime one of them, Johnny, disappeared for good and didn't come back. Art is the last class of the day and I take them to another teacher because most of us know nothing about art. On the way over two guys cut class and leave. I alerted the security guard and he was able to find them right outside the gate a few minutes later. They got sent to the principal and got suspended from school.
I knew that today I was going to have to deal with some issues. I woke up feeling worse but I knew I had to go. Johnny shows up with an ear ring in his ear and quite an attitude. He was more than willing to go to the principal. His uncle had given him a note that said he left at lunchtime because the security guard took his lunch and he had to go eat. When we finally got to speak to the principal, the note wasn't much good to him because he left at lunch time and never came back! If he was a little late it would be understandable, but since he never came back he didn't really have anything to say. We found out he lives with his Uncle who teaches Kindergarten at a public school. The Principal told him that he would have to bring his uncle back with him to come back to school. This was already his second time skipping class, so he'd already used his get-out-of-jail free card. I didn't have any trouble with him the rest of the day.
Unfortunately I lost my voice as the day went on. I assigned a bunch of work and made it through the day. I slept two and a half hours when I got off work. I feel better now. I'm super stoked I have a three day weekend to get well. I'm going to sleep a lot.
wow, just let it all out my friend. Kids can be a real pain sometimes. I remember when I first got to Korea and how at some point I had to start praying really hard that I wouldn't let the kids get to me. It's so natural to get emotional or offended by their behavior. Because we are older and in authority we feel that we have to have their respect or else. It's so true though that respect is earned and that kids won't really warm up to us unless they know we really care about them.... no matter what happens. Life is crazy and caring for kids is the most difficult job in the world. God help us Michael! :)
ReplyDelete